Chicken Curry is a beloved and aromatic dish that boasts a harmonious blend of spices and tender chicken pieces. This classic recipe is a culinary treasure, known for its rich flavors and versatility. Whether you prefer it mild or spicy, Chicken Curry is sure to tantalize your taste buds.
Chicken Curry has a diverse history, with variations found in cuisines across the world, from Indian to Thai to Caribbean. It is believed to have originated in the Indian subcontinent, where it became a staple. Over time, different regions developed their own unique versions, each incorporating local spices and techniques. Today, it stands as a global favorite, loved by people of all backgrounds.
- 500g boneless chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 tomatoes, pureed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece of ginger, grated
- 2 green chilies, slit
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (adjust to taste)
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
- Heat the cooking oil in a large skillet or pan over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and let them sizzle for a few seconds.
- Add the chopped onions and sauté until they turn translucent and golden brown.
- Stir in the minced garlic and grated ginger. Sauté for another couple of minutes until the raw aroma disappears.
- Add the chicken pieces and sear them until they turn white and start to brown.
- Sprinkle in the coriander powder, turmeric powder, and chili powder. Stir well to coat the chicken evenly with the spices.
- Pour in the tomato puree and cook for 5-7 minutes until the oil begins to separate from the tomato mixture.
- Add the green chilies, yogurt, and salt. Stir continuously for a few minutes to prevent the yogurt from curdling.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and let the chicken simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until it’s tender and cooked through. You may need to add a little water if the curry becomes too thick.
- Sprinkle garam masala over the curry and stir to incorporate it.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves before serving.
- Calories: 300
- Total Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 80mg
- Sodium: 700mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 10g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 4g
- Protein: 30g
Enjoy your homemade Chicken Curry, a delightful dish bursting with flavors that will leave you craving for more. Serve it with rice or naan bread for a complete and satisfying meal.