Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 500g chicken pieces (bone-in)
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-inch piece of ginger, grated
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 4 cloves
- 1-inch cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Wash the basmati rice and soak it in water for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds, bay leaves, green cardamom pods, cloves, and cinnamon stick. Sauté for a minute until fragrant.
- Add the sliced onions and sauté until they turn golden brown.
- Add the minced garlic, grated ginger, and chopped green chilies. Sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces and cook until they turn brown.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes and cook until they soften.
- Add the plain yogurt, fresh coriander leaves, fresh mint leaves, turmeric powder, and red chili powder. Mix well and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the drained rice and mix with the chicken and spice mixture.
- Pour in 4 cups of water, season with salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and let it simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until the rice is cooked and the chicken is tender.
- Once done, remove from heat and let it rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Calories: 430
- Total Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 75mg
- Sodium: 850mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 54g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Sugar: 4g
- Protein: 22g