Okra, also known as lady’s finger or bhindi, is a versatile and nutritious vegetable that can be prepared in various ways. This recipe will guide you through making a delicious okra side dish that’s crispy, flavorful, and the perfect accompaniment to any meal.
- 1 pound of fresh okra
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons of ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon of coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of red chili powder (adjust to your spice preference)
- Salt, to taste
- Fresh cilantro (coriander leaves) for garnish
1. Preparing the Okra:
- Wash the okra and pat it dry with a clean kitchen towel.
- Trim the ends and cut the okra into 1-inch pieces.
2. Sautéing the Okra:
- Heat 2 tablespoons of cooking oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the okra and sauté until it’s lightly browned and tender. Remove the okra and set it aside.
- In the same pan, add a bit more oil if needed, then add cumin seeds.
- Once the cumin seeds splutter, add finely chopped onions and sauté until they turn golden brown.
4. Adding Spices:
- Stir in ginger-garlic paste and sauté for a couple of minutes until the raw aroma disappears.
- Add turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, and red chili powder. Cook for a few minutes until the oil starts to separate from the spices.
5. Creating the Gravy:
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until they become soft and the oil begins to separate from the mixture.
6. Combining with Okra:
- Return the sautéed okra to the pan and mix it with the onion-tomato-spice mixture.
- Simmer for about 5-7 minutes, ensuring the okra is well-coated with the flavorful spices.
8. Garnishing and Serving:
- Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro (coriander leaves).
- Serve your delicious okra side dish hot with rice or bread of your choice.
Okra is a nutritious and versatile vegetable that can be transformed into a delicious side dish with the right blend of spices. Whether you’re a fan of vegetarian cuisine or just looking to incorporate more veggies into your diet, this okra recipe is a delightful choice.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions):
1. How do I choose fresh okra?
- Look for okra that is bright green, firm, and without any visible blemishes or soft spots.
2. Is it necessary to cut the okra into pieces?
- Cutting the okra into pieces helps it cook evenly and absorb the flavors of the spices.
3. Can I make the okra less spicy?
- Adjust the amount of red chili powder to control the spiciness according to your preference.
4. What’s the best way to store fresh okra?
- Store fresh okra in a paper or cloth bag in the refrigerator to maintain its freshness.
5. What can I serve with this okra side dish?
- This okra side dish pairs wonderfully with rice, roti, naan, or any bread of your choice.